At the turn of the century, Nanaimo was home to a diplomatic office and residence, which was located at 225 Vancouver Avenue. This prestigious housing was built in 1898, and served as the U.S Consulate and residence for the consul, who looked after U.S interests pertaining to coal, timber and sandstone exports at the time.
The residence is a tangible reminder of the type of housing that predominated in this neighbourhood from its earliest development in the early 1900s to around 1940. Surviving earlier residences such as this building are important evidence of the original genteel character of the area.
Initially developed as an exclusive residential neighbourhood for the city’s middle and upper classes, the neighbourhood is now a mix of commercial buildings, condominium and apartment complexes, and single-family dwellings. Today, this building houses the offices of Bartlett & Company Law Corporation.